Yesterday, the Patuxent Riverkeeper released its latest report [pdf] on the health of the Patuxent River.
Among the recommendations the report makes to restore the health of the river, are:
- Implement low-impact development strategies based on the Stormwater Management Act of 2007 [pdf].
- Create a dedicated fund for stormwater retrofits.
- Increase permit staff overseeing sediment and erosion control and stormwater management.
- Reduce use of fertilizers.
- Limit the use of septic systems in new developments.
- Maintain full funding for Program Open Space.
- Increase impact fees and wetland permit fees.
- Ensure that major wastewater treatment plants are upgraded by 2010.
- Increase funding for, and use of agricultural best management practices (BMPs).
- Increase public transportation options.
- Adopt total maximum daily load limits (TMDLs) for the river and enforce them.